Christian Lifestyles 2006

We are on a journey to move closer to the life Jesus taught us about. Each Sunday, we will discuss another small step and hopefully throughout the week, we will all have a chance to join in and continue the discussion until we meet again.

Just a note before you begin. This is in chronological order, so please read from the bottom up and then feel free to comment and join in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fayetteville, NC, United States

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Week 2 Discussion: Really sell it all?

This week Tony has truly convicted us when he insists that Jesus meant what he said when instructing the Rich Young Ruler in Matthew 19: 21, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Wow, that is powerful stuff!

So how do we know he really means everything? Tony tells us how Jesus described Judgment Day. Jesus will separate all the people into two groups (Matthew 25: 31-46 ). The one group he welcomes "Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world." the others he sends to the "eternal punishment" (verse 46).

Those he welcomes he tells them that when "...I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me" (verses 35 and 36). When the people wondered when they did these things to Jesus, he reminds them that "... whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me" (verse 40).

I think that what Tony is saying that this means is that if there are those who are hungry, thirsty, alone, sick and in prison and we are not, then we have a job to do.

Any thoughts on this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>